Poker is the most popular card game played across the world. Thanks to online Poker and several live online Poker tournaments, the popularity has increased manifold in the recent years. Millions of players play Poker every day indicating the supremacy of the game. It is a unique mix of strategy, betting, gambling, calculation, and psychology. Everyone from celebrities to the wealthy and the educated – all enjoy playing Poker. Texas Hold’Em Poker is the most popular variant played at several international tournaments.
Common Terms used in the game
Ante: It is the minimum amount you need to bet in order to get started with the game.
Blinds: According to Poker rules, these are forced bets made by players. There are 2 blinds bets– small and big. The small blind is placed by the player left to the dealer and the big blind by the next player to the left.
Call: It refers to the willingness of a player to match the bet or raise the amount.
Check: If the betting round has not been opened, a player may decide not to bet which is known as ‘Check’. This indicates that the player does not wish to make a bet and open.
Raise: If a player wishes to increase the size of an existing bet in the same betting round, then it is a ‘Raise’.
For a poker player, how to play poker online is just the beginning of an interesting journey. If you understand betting and the various combinations of Poker hands you can play effortlessly any variation of Poker game. A Poker hand is basically 5 cards. A combination of these cards is ranked with royal flush being the highest to no pair to nothing being the lowest.
For any beginner, it is important to understand the poker rankings in order to identify a winning hand. A basic hand ranking guide starting from the highest to the lowest is as below for your reference.
- Royal Flush: Consists of all the cards of the same suit in a sequence. Example: A, K, Q, J, 10 all of the same suit. It is the highest ranking straight flush and is given the special name royal flush.
- Straight Flush: Five cards in a sequence of the same suit. Example: 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 of Clubs
- Four of a Kind: Four cards of the same rank. Example: J-J-J-J
- Full House: Three of a kind and a pair. Example: 10-10-10-9-9
- Flush: Five cards from the same suit, not in sequence. Example: 4-J-8-2-9
- Straight: Five cards in a sequence but not of the same suit. Example: 9-8-7-6-5
- Three of a Kind: Three cards of the same rank. Example: 7-7-7-K-8
- Two Pair: Two different pairs. Example: 4-4 and 3-3
- Pair: Two cards of the same Example: A-A-7-8-5
- High card: When you are unable to make any of the above hands, the highest card plays.
A journey called Poker
Learning how to play Poker takes a while but mastering the game may take ages too. With incredible skills, the right strategies, and a calm mind to take prudent decisions you can win at Poker despite the element of luck involved in the game.